Breast Revision in Houston, TX with Dr. Courtney El-Zokm
While many women enjoy their implants for years after surgery, breast implant manufacturers recommend that patients should have a ten-year examination, which patients can schedule with Dr. Courtney. After this consultation, Dr. Courtney may suggest that his clients choose breast revision surgery to maintain their desired aesthetic goals safely.
Dr. Courtney El-Zokm’s happy clients explain that his ability to listen carefully and treat their specific requests with compassion and flexibility create optimal outcomes for them. He knows well that each woman has her own vision of her own ideal beauty. Using Vectra XT 3D Imaging, he translates your desires and his approach into an image superimposed onto your current form. This system gives you both a more transparent and realistic view of the flattering figure that Dr. Courtney can provide for you. Dr. Courtney is one of the few breast specialists offering this important, pre-surgery step. Contact our office at (713) 522-4411 to schedule a consultation.
What Is Breast Revision?
Breast revision surgery, also called breast augmentation revision, is a secondary procedure performed after an initial breast augmentation. This procedure replaces breast implants, corrects complications like asymmetry or nipple size, and adjusts the appearance of the breasts to meet new aesthetic goals and desires.
Most women that receive breast augmentation will need revision surgery at some point. New, modern implants are long-lasting and durable, but they aren’t lifetime devices. Breast revision surgery keeps your implants at their best.
Other types of breast revision surgery are available. If you received results that aren’t as expected after a breast lift or breast reduction, come see Dr. Courtney to explore your options.
Top Reasons Houston Women Seek Breast Revision
Breast augmentation has high patient satisfaction ratings. Women love how their breasts look and feel after the procedure. Breast implants are long-lasting, but they do occasionally need replacement. Top reasons for breast revision surgery include:
- Lifestyle Changes- The breasts you wanted at 25 may not be the same as the ones you want at 40. Revision surgery realigns the breasts with your current priorities.
- Desire to Change Implant Size- sometimes, women wish they’d gone bigger during their initial breast augmentation.
- Capsular Contracture- A condition where the scar capsule around the implant hardens, causing changes in the feel and sometimes appearance of the breast.
- Leak or Rupture- Breast implant leaks or ruptures require revision surgery.
- Desire for a Different Implant Type- Many women, who initially choose saline implants, decide to switch to silicone for a softer, more natural feel.
- Breast Changes After Pregnancy or Weight Loss- Revision surgery restores a youthful breast appearance and alleviates sagging.
- Cosmetic Concerns with Prior Breast Augmentation- These concerns include asymmetry, implant shifting, bottoming out, and poor implant placement.
- Done with Breast Implants- After enjoying implants for years, some women decide that they are no longer interested in augmenting their breasts.
If you’re unhappy with your breasts after breast augmentation or if you’re experiencing complications, come in for a consultation.
Benefits of Breast Augmentation Revision
Breast revision surgery has many benefits.
- Improves the appearance of the breasts
- Restores the breasts to a more youthful position
- Alleviates discomfort from breast implant complications
- Boosts confidence in breast appearance again
- Realigns the breasts with your current priorities, aesthetics, and desires
Explore the benefits you’ll receive from this surgery at a consultation with Dr. Courtney.
What Happens During a Breast Revision Procedure?
Dr. Courtney performs breast revision surgery at the Surgicentre at ACPS, a state-of-the-art operating facility that is one of the best in the area. The equipment, furnishings, and lighting are designed specifically for plastic surgery. Breast revision surgery is usually performed under general anesthesia. Since it is an outpatient procedure, most patients return home on the day of surgery.
The specifics of each operation are customized, depending on your needs. Dr. Courtney will create an individualized plan before your procedure. He can provide detailed information about what to expect.
In a typical breast revision, an incision is created to access the breast implants. The old implants are removed, and new implants are placed into the breast pocket. If needed, a capsulotomy, or the removal of the breast implant capsule, may be performed. Dr. Courtney also performs en bloc breast implant removals, in which he will remove the implant and capsule as a whole.
During your procedure, other surgical procedures may be performed including breast lift, changes to the size or position of the nipple/areola, and changes to the size or position or the breast implant pocket. Some patients may need to temporarily remove their implants and replace them at a later surgery.
After Dr. Courtney has achieved the desired results, he will close the incisions and wrap the area in compression bandaging. You will then spend a short time in recovery before returning home.
Recovery After Breast Revision Surgery
Breast revision surgery requires some downtime. Here’s what to expect:
- Tightness, tenderness, bruising, and swelling are common. These side effects usually resolve within a few weeks of surgery.
- Pain medications and antibiotics may be prescribed. Take these as directed.
- Most patients miss about a week of work.
- Patients will be slow to resume physical Most patients can resume gentle walking shortly after surgery. Wait six weeks to resume heavy lifting and strenuous activity.
- All patients receive contact information for Dr. Courtney so they can reach him 24/7 with questions or concerns.
We’ll meet with you several times during the recovery to monitor healing and answer questions.
Maintaining Your Results
Breast revision surgery provides long-lasting results. Care for your new implants will be similar to the care required for your previous breast implants. Regular breast checks by your doctor and imaging as needed will help to keep your breasts healthy.
Revision surgery may be needed again if implant complications occur or if you decide to change breast size.
Frequently Asked Questions About Breast Revision in Houston
If you have breast implants and you want to make a change to your breasts, you may be a good candidate for breast augmentation revision. Come in for a consultation. If you currently smoke, stop before surgery as this can slow healing and increase the chances of a complication.
Breast revision surgery is often performed on both breasts together to retain symmetry. There are some cases where one breast is operated on alone. Dr. Courtney can tell you if you will need surgery on one or both breasts during your consultation.
Breast implants typically do not need replacement unless there is a complication.
The cost of revision surgery varies. We’ll provide a detailed estimate at your consultation.
Tenderness and discomfort are common after surgery, but with proper pain management, the procedure shouldn’t be painful. We’ll provide prescription pain medication if it is needed and detailed instructions for managing post-surgical discomfort.